Going for a trip overseas, whether for leisure or business, needs extensive preparation to ensure that your journey is stress-free and safe. And one of the most important things you should have before stepping onto an aeroplane is travel insurance. With travellers’ insurance, you can have a safety shield against all your travel-related accidents or emergencies that could spoil your journey like, losing your passport or luggage.
Not only this, but with travel insurance online, you can cover several other medical as well as non-medical travel emergencies, as well as get taxable benefits too. So, in this article, we’ll discuss the top 5 benefits of travel insurance for travellers, which you should be aware of before searching for travel insurance plans online.
Some Unknown Advantages of Buying a Travel Insurance Plan
- Pre-Existing Disease Coverage: With a travel insurance plan, you can get cover for hospitalisation charges, medical expenses and doctor’s fees during your trip. Apart from this, you can also get a cover for certain pre-existing ailments in case of a life-threatening medical condition. However, to get this cover, you need to be absolutely honest about your medical history to your insurer at the time of purchasing the insurance plan.
- Changes in Trip Itinerary Coverage: Your trip itinerary might change at any point in time. It could be because of different unexpected circumstances like health issues, hotel cancellations, airline cancellations, etc. But when you have travel insurance online, you can get compensation for all your cancellation charges and monetary losses. Such insurances will also cover against the trip curtailment due to unforeseen reasons.
- Fraudulent Charge Coverage: Suppose you lose your credit or debit card during the trip, you find out that someone else is using it, you’ll inevitably be scared about losing all your money. Also, you’ll be in a foreign land where you’ll not be sure about who to contact and where to go for help. But with travel insurance, you can relax. The insurance plan will refund you the amount that you may lose in case your cards get stolen.
- Home Protection Coverage: If you are planning a trip to another country for a month or more, you are very likely to be worried about your home back in India. But with travel insurance plans, you can also safeguard your home from burglary or fire outbreaks. This way, you’ll not have to worry about your belonging back at home as you’ll know that you will get full coverage of everything in case there is an unfortunate accident back at home while you are on your trip abroad.
- Personal Liability Coverage: A travel insurance policy can provide you with coverage against any damage you cause to a third party during your stay abroad. For example, if you cause any damage to anything related to a third party that needs to be compensated, your insurance policy can provide you with the compensation amount. This third-party liability is specified for damage to a person or a property.
So, were you aware of these benefits of a travel insurance plan? If yes, well done! If not, you know now. Travel insurance is the perfect fallback option if the trip doesn’t go as planned due to unforeseen circumstances. It doesn’t matter whether you have planned it to the T or are taking an impromptu trip, safeguarding your journey with the right travel insurance plan is extremely critical. The range of benefits and the extent of protection it offers allows you to rest assured and enjoy your trip without worrying about any surprises.
Other Benefits of a Travel Insurance Plan
Along with the uncommon benefits of travel insurance discussed above, here are some common and well-known benefits that make it the perfect travel companion:
- Coverage for baggage loss/delay
- Coverage for trip delay/cancellation
- Cover for medical emergencies and accidents
- Travel assistance
- Hijack cover
- Local assistance cover
- Cover against personal liability
- Coverage for medical expenses if you are diagnosed and are being treated for Covid-19 during your trip
- Automatic extension of your travel insurance plan if you are hospitalised and the plan is nearing expiry
- Automatic extension of the plan for up to 7 days if your return flight is delayed or cancelled
Things to Carry With You When Travelling
- A valid passport if travelling abroad
- Valid identity documents when travelling to domestic locations
- Flight details, hotel information and travel itinerary
- Applicable currency of the destination country when travelling internationally
- Detailed Covid-19 specific guidelines
- Detailed mask, vaccine and test mandates of the destination
- Masks, sanitisers and vaccine certificates/test reports
- Valid travel insurance
There are several other benefits of travel insurance for travellers apart from the ones listed above. Also, there are a few countries where travel insurance is mandatory for travellers. Hence, the next time you plan a trip abroad, do not forget to search through the travel insurance plans online before making a travel insurance claim for yourself.